PRISMA+ offers internships for outstanding graduates of bachelor’s or master’s degree programs in physics. The PRISMA+ Internship Program provides internships for a period of at least 8 weeks up to 12 weeks under the supervision of a faculty member. Starting from winter semester 2022/23, travel expenses are reimbursed at a flat rate for the duration of the internship, depending on the distance:
- up to 500 km travel: 250 Euro
- up to 1000 km travel: 500 Euro
- for a travel of more than 1000 km: 700 Euro
In addition, accommodation costs are reimbursed at a flat rate depending on the duration of the internship:
- for a stay of 8 weeks: 1400 Euro
- for a stay of 9 weeks: 1575 Euro
- for a stay of 10 weeks: 1750 Euro
- for a stay of 11 weeks: 1925 Euro
- for a stay of 12 weeks: 2100 Euro
The PRISMA+ coordination office provides assistance in finding an accommodation. Please note that expenses for living costs or daily allowance cannot be covered.
The university's excellent research environment and facilities in the field of particle physics are opening their doors to offer excellent students outstanding learning and professional development opportunities in the Cluster of Excellence PRISMA+ “Precision Physics, Fundamental Interactions and Structure of Matter”. Internship students work in one or more fields of particle and hadron physics in our research groups.
Internship students visit the Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz for a period of at least 8 weeks up to 12 weeks. Internships are offered throughout the year. During their stay at Mainz University, internship students support experienced researchers in the laboratories. The purpose of the internship is to familiarize prospective PhD students with the research facilities, and the research opportunities at Mainz University. Students also get the opportunity to attend discussions with internationally renowned researchers from the Department of Physics and to attend their seminars and lectures.
The program is open to all outstanding graduates of bachelor’s or master’s degree programs in physics, preferably with prior research experience (with a cumulative grade point average better than B).
An internship at Mainz University can be an essential part of every academic education. It should help students explore career options and decide if doing a PhD at the Physics Department suits their career goals. It also benefits the progress towards graduation and provides field experience in academia.
How to apply for an internship?
For your application to be considered, please use our application form.
In addition, you should submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Letter of Motivation (at least one page) including a statement on your preferred research interest or group. You will find a list of our members at https://www.prisma.uni-mainz.de/people/members/. In case you have doubts if your desired internship matches the specific area, just contact the professor directly. The letter of motivation should also include the reasons for your choice of JGU for the internship and your future career plans.
- Official transcripts of your previous studies (Bachelor / Master)
- CV (personal data sheet) including your overall GPA
- Please arrange for at least one signed letter of recommendation by senior scientists, with institutional letterhead, to be sent separately to the above mail address.
Summer Internship (preferred stay between April and September): January 31
Winter Internship (preferred stay between October and March): July 1
You will receive a short confirmation from our office after submitting your documents. We will then check if your application meets the needs of our research areas and the research interests of our professors. You will be notified about the outcome of the selection process within a few weeks.