PhD Fellowship program

We want to give doctoral students the opportunity to conduct research in an attractive and international environment together with renowned scientists. They should be given the opportunity to work at an innovative local research infrastructure as well as to participate in large-scale experiments worldwide as part of a large research community.

The MPA Fellowships for doctoral students are awarded exclusively on the basis of the scientific excellence of the applicants. The selected fellows receive an attractive salary of 2/3 of an E13 position as well as individual travel and research funding.

Applicants are encouraged to make themselves familiar with PRISMA+ research areas and to name a potential supervisor from among the PRISMA+-members. They must have an outstanding Master's degree in one of the following fields

  • Elementary Particle Physics
  • Hadron and Nuclear physics
  • Atomic Physics and Physics with Ultra-Cold Neutrons
  • Nuclear Chemistry
  • Astroparticle physics
  • Theoretical Particle, Hadron and Nuclear Physics

How to apply for a fellowship?

Application deadline for the current call for proposals is April 30th, 2021.

For your application to be considered, please use our application form. After submitting the application form, please send your complete application documents as a single pdf file to
Letters of recommendations should be sent separately to the same E-Mail address.

Application documents:

  • Detailed curriculum vitae
  • Cover letter including a short motivation statement
  • Scans of university degrees including transcripts of records (lists of courses with your grades) in German or English
  • Candidates who have obtained their degrees from a university where neither English nor German is the teaching language must prove their language proficiency (B2 level or higher) by a certificate not older than three years.

Please arrange for two signed letters of recommendation by senior scientists, with institutional letterhead, to be sent separately to the above address.

Referees are asked to submit the complete referee form.

All documents may be submitted in English or German. Documents in any other language must be translated and legally certified by the German embassy, consulate or a certified translator.