On January 1, 2014, Dmitry Budker was appointed Professor of Experimental Atomic Physics at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz. This professorship has been established at the Helmholtz Institute Mainz (HIM), a collaborative project involving Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the GSI Helmholtz Center for Heavy Ion Research in Darmstadt. Together with his research team, Dmitry Budker investigates fundamental interactions and symmetries for which purposes it is necessary to employ the experimental techniques of atomic, molecular and optical physics. In addition, he and his team develop purely optical sensors based on atomic vapor cells and color centers in diamond, and are also looking at nuclear magnetic resonance in zero and ultra-low grade fields (ZULF NMR).
Dmitry Budker was born in Russia in 1963 and studied physics at the Novosibirsk State University, USSR, gaining a first-class honors degree. In 1993, he was awarded his doctorate by the University of California, CA, USA. After two years working as a research associate, he became a member of the Nuclear Science Division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL), CA, USA. In 1995 he was appointed a junior professor of physics at the University of California, becoming an associate professor in 2001 and ultimately full professor at this university in 2005.
- D. Budker, D. DeMille, E.D. Commins, and M.S. Zolotorev, “Experimental investigation of excited states in atomic dysprosium”, Phys. Rev. A 50, 132-143 (1994)
- M. Zolotorev and D. Budker, “Parity Nonconservation in Relativistic Hydrogenic Ions“, Phys. Rev. Lett., 78(25), 4717 (1997)
- A. Cingoz, A. Lapierre, A.-T. Nguyen, N. Leefer, D. Budker, S. K. Lamoreaux, and J. R. Torgerson, “Limit on the Temporal Variation of the Fine-Structure Constant Using Atomic Dysprosium”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 040801 (2007)
- Damon English, Valeriy V. Yashchuk, and Dmitry Budker, “Spectroscopic test of Bose-Einstein statistics for photons”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 104(25), 253604 (2010)
- K. Tsigutkin, D. Dounas-Frazer, A. Family, J. E. Stalnaker, V. V. Yashchuk, D. Budker, “Observation of a Large Atomic Parity Violation Effect in Ytterbium”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 071601 (2009)